Storia del Museo

Our History

The Museum of Scales and Balances was founded on the basis of the desire expressed by Campogalliano Town Council to open a museum dedicated to this instrument which has long accompanied human society, guaranteeing equity in commercial exchanges to the point of becoming a symbol of human and divine justice, in a land which has produced scales since 1860.

  • In 1983, the Municipality started acquiring scales, weights and measures.
  • The Museum was opened in 1989, by which time the collection had become extensive.
  • Since 1991, the Museum of Scales and Balances has also served as the National Documentation Centre, an institute able to collect, organize, and disseminate documentary material to expand the investigative boundaries of the scale.
  • Since 1997, it has occupied its current home in the city centre.
  • In 1997, in 2004 and in 2009, it benefited from regional financing for the cataloguing of its patrimony in accordance with the cataloguing standards set by the Ministry.
  • In 2009, it was awarded recognition as a ‘Museum of Quality’ by the IBC, valid for the period between 2010 and 2012.
  • Today the Museum hosts a rich and specialized library as well as a collection of over 6,000 items (also from the donations of public and private bodies) including instruments for weighing, documents, prints and photographic reproductions.

See also the exhibitions and the events of the Museum.

Foto